Monday, March 22, 2010

Herbicide Carryover in Manure, Compost and Hay-Think Before Using

Aged or composted manure is a great soil amendment.
Last year we had a problem statewide with herbicide damage in gardens and on organic farms as a result of manure and composted manure with herbicidal activity.  This was the result of herbicides used in the growing of the hay that passed through the animal basically intact and was still active in the manure, even after composting.  I'm not going to get into all the details here, but you can read about it in an article I posted under "Late Breaking News" on http://ncorganic.org/.  Please don't think you are immune from this potential problem.  If you use manure or old hay, ask what herbicides were used, if any, and compare them to those on the list in the publication.

I will be speaking on this topic at the Mid-Atlantic Nutrition Conference in Timonium, Maryland on Thursday.  This is a animal nutrition conference, and I will be totally out of my element.  I probably won't know a sole, but I am looking forward to learning more about feeding horses and cattle (I have the former and plan to get the latter soon).  I will also enjoy meeting a whole new group of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment