I would love to see this position filled quickly, so I'm posting it on my blog!
To apply for this position, go to the NCSU Job Site
Vacancy with the NC Cooperative Extension Service
Full-Time - Permanent Position
Title Area Extension Agent
Anticipated Hiring Range: Minimum Bachelor's $33,500; Minimum Master's $38,500
Position Number: WT-00062712-0613
Work Schedule 8:30 am - 5:00 pm, evenings and weekends are required.
Job City & State Hendersonville, NC
This position will be based in Henderson County and will work approximately 1 day per week in Haywood County and 1 day in Buncombe County. The three-county area produced approximately $15 million annual gross farm income from commercial vegetable production in 2006.
Essential Job Duties
This position will conduct educational programs for and provide technical production, economic and marketing information to conventional and organic commercial vegetable growers. Duties and responsibilities will include:
1. Plan, conduct and coordinate workshops, conferences, seminars, short courses, etc. as needed for commercial horticulture audiences.
2. Work with other agencies, agribusinesses, and organizations to facilitate the expansion and enhancement of the commercial vegetable industry in the area.
3. Facilitate area programs and information transfer with other Extension agents with vegetable or specialty crop responsibility to work cooperatively on educational programs of mutual horticultural interest.
4. Establish and use a commercial horticulture advisory council.
5. Provide an educational source and point-of-contact for the area vegetable growers, farm-related businesses and agencies on commercial vegetable and specialty crop enterprises.
6. Work with University specialists located at research stations to conduct Extension educational demonstrations and facilitate research information transfer to vegetable and specialty crop growers.
Skills, abilities and experiences required include:
1. Ability to handle multiple work demands and set priorities.
2. To work independently with little supervision.
3. Ability to plan, implement, market and evaluate educational programs.
4. Evaluate and deliver expected education impacts and work with diverse people.
5. Willingness to be a team player in support of a total Extension program through interdisciplinary efforts with Extension specialists, local staffs, customers and volunteers.
6. Demonstrate public and human relations skills.
7. Be adept in both public and interpersonal communications.
8. Have resource development or grantsmanship ability and computer literacy
One of the following educational requirements: – A Bachelor’s degree with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 overall or a 3.0 (based on a 4.0 scale) in the job related field, – A Bachelor’s degree and the completion of at least one-half of coursework in a Master’s degree curriculum with a cumulative grade point average 3.0 or higher with at least one of the degrees in the job related field, or – Completion of a Master’s degree with at least one of the degrees in the job related field. Also required: a personal automobile; computer literacy; strong oral and written communication skills; the ability to plan, implement, market, and evaluate educational programs; willingness to work as a team member and support a total Extension program; and the ability to handle multiple demands and set priorities.
Successful performance of the duties encompassed in the County Extension Area Agent’s job requires that the individual possess habits of industry, a sense of responsibility, and a genuine appreciation for the worth of the individual. The employee must be adept in both oral and written communication. The County Extension Area Agent is eligible to become a member of the non-tenure track/special faculty at North Carolina State University. The County Extension Area Agent has primary responsibility for planning, executing, and evaluating that phase of county Extension programs within assigned areas of program responsibility. The County Extension Area Agent cooperates with colleagues in the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service and county leaders in performing assigned responsibilities. The performance of assigned responsibilities is governed by the philosophy, objectives, policies, and procedures of the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service.
Departmental Required Skills
A Bachelor’s degree in horticulture, agronomy, agribusiness management with a concentration in a related agricultural science or an agriculturally related degree with a foundation related to vegetable crop production is required.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
A Master’s degree is preferred.
A successful candidate must be able to organize and lead groups specific to the job responsibilities.
Spanish language skills are desired. Program marketing experience through mass media is desired.
Travel within the district is required. Occasional travel outside the district required. It will also at times require overnight trips in the district and state for meetings and professional development.
Job Open Date 06/04/2013
Must Be Open Until at Least 06/18/2013
AA/EOE. In addition, NC State welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation or genetic information. Persons with disabilities requiring accommodations in the application and interview process please call (919) 515-3148. Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree verified at www.wes.org. Degree must be obtained prior to start date. NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Labels: extension agent job, position open